About Me

My photo
I have struggled with weight my entire adult life. It's time for me to lose weight for ME!

Tuesday, September 14

Beginning my journey to a healthier ME

I FINALLY got fed up with being fat.  I weighed in for a Biggest Loser contest at work and tipped the scales at 303 lbs!  That was a really big shock to me.  I had teetered at the 300 lb mark for quite a while, but somehow I fell to the OVER 300 lb mark.  That scared me!

At my annual gyno physical, the Nurse Practioner suggested I look into bariatric surgery.  Really???  I hadn't tried that hard to lose weight.  I just didn't know how.  After weeks of thinking about it, I scheduled an appointment to research bariatric surgery.  After attending the seminar, I was recharged.  I could do this.  Did I want the Sleeve?  or did I want Lap Band?  Big decisions, but first I needed the support of my family doctor.

My family Nurse Practioner was less than excited to encourage me to have bariatric surgery.  She gave me info on a 1500 calorie diet, but promised to submit a pre-auth to my HMO.  A month later, my HMO denied bariatric surgery.  I was deflated!  What was I supposed to do now?

An appointment to my family FNP brought about the suggestion to join Weight Watchers.  I can't diet!?!  Why would this work? Maybe this would convince the HMO to pay for the surgery?  I saw a commercial for WW and it talked about joining for free.  Well, what did I have to lose?

I attended my first WW meeting on May 24, 2010.  I still wasn't convinced, but decided to follow the plan religiously.  Fast forward 16 weeks.  As of today, I have lost 43 lbs!  I now weigh in at 259 lbs!

What have I got to lose?  Being the fat girl.  I have a long way to go, but I'll get there.  I'm worth the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment